5 Reasons Why Frida Kahlo is a Bad Ass | Aesthetically Pleasing

5 Reasons Why Frida Kahlo is a Bad Ass




Frida Kahlo.

Some may know her as the eccentric Mexican surrealist who lived a tumultuous life as an artist but I simply know her as a bad ass. Yes, a bad ass. These two words accurately describe how I see this woman - incredibly fierce. 

You might be wondering when this "obsession" of mine began and in total honesty I wouldn't be able to tell you anything. But what I do remember is my 7th grade art teacher describing me as Frida Kahlo herself. I was appalled. How in the hell did I look like her? I didn't have a unibrow, I didn't have pet monkeys, I didn't wear Mexican dresses. How was I like Ms. Kahlo? This "insult" created that desire to know more about Kahlo's life and work and possibly find out why Ms. Battaglia saw Kahlo in me. So I guess you can say that this was the very beginning, the beginning of my love for Frida Kahlo. 

Now, let's begin. 


1. She didn't hold back her sex appeal.





I admire women who take pride in their femininity and sexuality. A woman comfortable in her own skin is beyond attractive and rare to find. Basing things off her pictures, biography, and the movie Frida starring Salma Hayek, I'm certain that this woman was something special for the men and women who loved her. She exuded sexiness, strength, and most importantly, confidence. You say Marilyn Monroe, I say Frida Kahlo. You say Sophia Loren, I say Frida Kahlo. You say Grace Kelly, I say Frida Kahlo. All these women are gorgeous but Kahlo tops them all for her undying beauty. Unconventional, yes, but beautiful nonetheless. 

But it's important to know that I'm not basing everything on the physical. Unibrows on women were and still are uncommon, especially with today's standard of beauty. Mustaches too, but oddly enough these "imperfections" don't take away from Frida's beauty, in fact, it adds more umph if that makes sense. Whether Frida resembled her era's beauty standards or not, to me, she was beautiful. What's most notable is that Frida didn't care at all, she embraced her flaws which added more to her sex appeal. Her life, her work, her mannerisms all account for the icon that she is. There will never be another Frida. 


2. She was unapologetic. 






A woman who's confident and unapologetic, now that's a dime piece. Her rebellious nature, as you can imagine, was unorthodox for her time. She ran by her own rules and no one else's. There was a period in her youth when she would dress as man. Gender roles? For Frida, that must not have existed. She was open about her numerous affairs with other women; she hid nothing. and at a time when support for democracy became the global agenda Frida took the more controversial, infamous route and chose communism as her political frame.

Too often in life we spend unnecessary time worrying about what others think of us. We stress ourselves about pleasing society and loved ones. But what Frida teaches us is that none of that matters. Her unapologetic attitude should be highly admired. Sometimes we need to care for our own needs, our own wants, our own dreams, and so forth. 


3.  She was relentless.



After surviving two traumatizing accidents in her early childhood, Frida was left with lifelong health complications. Polio, fractured bones, and miscarriages left Frida with agonizing scars, physically and mentally. Despite suffering physical pain and emotional turmoil from a failed marriage, Frida Kahlo remained resilient. She never let her impairments stop her from doing what she loved the most, painting. Sick in bed, Frida would still find ways to paint on her corsets and canvas as pictured above. 

She once said, 

"I'm not sick. I'm broken. But I am happy as long as I paint." 

Her form of relentlessness proves that if you're truly committed to your work, whatever that work may be, no obstacle will move you. You must walk forward.  


4. She rejected the fashion of her time. 













Frida Kahlo was known for taking pride in her Mexican roots. Like the revolutionary woman she was, Kahlo's fashion made powerful statements about Mexican womanhood and politics in the 1930s and 1940s, whether they were intentional or not. While many of her comrades were seen rocking the latest trends, Kahlo, like always, differentiated herself from the rest. Her form of artistic self-expression became increasingly influential for those outside and within the fashion scene. You'll probably never see me wearing a Tehuana but you can catch me mirroring the vivacity and expressiveness found in Kahlo's style. The layered silks; the embroidered, vibrant blouses; the extravagant earrings and golden bracelets; the beautifully crafted flowers on her raven black hair - Frida was all unique. Her iconic style has been featured in 1937 French Vogue and exhibited in countless museums across the globe. And 'til this day, Frida has managed to inspire many people and to find individuality in every shape and form. 


5. She kept no secrets.


Self-Portrait with Monkey
1938

The Little Deer
1946

Henry Ford Hospital
1932

Self-Portrait as a Tehuana (Diego on My Mind)
1943

The Two Fridas
1939

Making art was Frida's gift. Although she originally never intended to pursue a career in the arts, Frida gave way to her hidden talents and became a painter. As a surrealist, many of Frida's works depict odd, gruesome, often disturbing stories. Some of these stories are directly linked to her life and the difficult struggles she overcame. Painting became a form of communication. Because of her sickness, Frida often isolated herself and confined herself to her home to work on paintings. Within this time, Frida was able to reflect on her work. Studying more of herself allowed her to produce the portraits she's famously known for. She once said in an interview, "I paint myself because I am often alone and because I am the subject I know best...I think that little by little, I'll be able to solve my own problems and survive."

From paintings describing her passionate yet unsuccessful marriage to muralist Diego Rivera, to her numerous health complications, to her several abortions, Frida Kahlo's life was an open book for those who admired her artistry. Her gift made her one of a kind and her willingness to share her life as openly as she did make people recognize that Frida Kahlo is one of the greatest story tellers of our times. 

-----

 My admiration for Kahlo runs deep. Now I no longer look back and think of Ms. Battaglia's comment as an insult but rather a compliment; the greatest compliment I've ever received. Frida was a passion driven woman full of spark and confidence and to be compared to her is an honor. No on can disagree that Frida Kahlo was a bad ass in all its entirety. 



Would you consider Frida Kahlo as a bad ass? What are some things you admire from her? Do you know of another figure who is worthy of this title?

Let me know and comment down below!

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram and like our page on Facebook

- Genesis 



12 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! I completely agree! Thank you. ~APriL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog entry, I'm from Mexico and I feel really proud of strong women like her. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank u so much for this post! I love Frida too.
    she´s unique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well written. enjoyed your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great piece. I don't know a lot about Frida Kahlo (except for her unmistakable look), but this has inspired me to learn more about her life and work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this writing it was very interesting and I'm actually watching the movie Frida right now I was just so compelled to learn more about her. I'm so proud of her especially being a Mexican woman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She had made me proud of who i am. I've been tormented for being Mexican, having a mustache and being hairy in general. I relate to her on so many levels. Knowing of her and who she was has some how helped me complete the woman I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We linked to this post in our blog post today about Frida's birthday! You did an amazing job and yes she was bad-ass!!! <3

    ReplyDelete