DMV Music: Marlee in the Mixx | Aesthetically Pleasing

DMV Music: Marlee in the Mixx



The DMV is a such a talented place! I actually have only come to that realization this past year having been introduced to some great artists while being in college, but I’m proud of my region and am going to use this blog to showcase it to the world.


I got a chance to see DC based band Marlee in the Mixx at a Juke Joint event hosted by the black student union at my school (University of MD). Everyone was instantly grooving to their soulful sounds. MITM is the perfect combination of soul, hip hop, and gogo. And even as a DMV resident who surprisingly is not in the least a gogo enthusiast, I couldn't help but vibe to their set. Their sound blends well and just feels right.

Front woman Marlee D has a smooth soulful voice and frequently holds down a great flow rapping as well. Their stage presence and chemistry is effortless and their musicality is near perfection- there's nothing in this world I love more than a great live show and every band member delivers.

I Love their covers which come out unique and true to their own acoustic. They keep you singing along to a familiar song but falling even more in love with its new sound. Rarely is the sequel better than the original but their “Don’t Kill My Vibe” cover, which they also performed when I saw them, is probably one of my new favorite versions of the song. Not to mention the smooth mash up of Erykah Badu's Tyrone just flows so well.


So, I was especially excited to learn that they are finalists in the AfroPunk Battle of the Bands, one of my favorite annual compilation of musical performances. I followed last years competition with hopes of my favorite band The Skins making it to the top. Unfortunately, they didn't win, but I'm hoping that this time around Marlee in the Mixx will prevail. They play tomorrow, June 5, in the event hosted by Coco & Breezy.


Best of luck to the DMVs own talented crew!

Currently listening to their live mixtape download it at MarleeintheMixx.com

 -Anna Son


No comments:

Post a Comment